Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Ideas? I know you have them...

So, I was recently called as the assistant girl's camp director in our ward! I couldn't have been more ecstatic! I've been in this primary tunnel for so long, that I never thought I'd see the end of it. Don't get me wrong, I love working in the primary, but except for a few short stints in the relief society and the choir, (probably 8 months combined) I've been in primary for nearly my entire married life...almost 10 years! And...yes, I am still in the Stake Primary, but at least I am dabbling in young women's now! So, we are knee deep in the planning stage and I am wanting this to be the best year ever! I haven't been to camp since I was like 14 or 15, so I can't remember all of the cool, fun things we did. So, if you remember any fun crafts, songs, traditions, skits, pranks, games, etc. please....I'm begging you...please share! Our theme is Royal Princess Academy...Fit for His Kingdom. Not that your ideas have to go along with that, but just wanted to get those wheels turning!

5 comments:

Staci said...

That was a very enlightening post Em thanks! :)

Celeste said...

Hey, I'm the Camp Director too and am deep into planning right now! I'm so glad you got to do something with the YW, you're so cute and creative, this Camp will be the best ever and then you'll be the camp director forever! Here is something our Stake does(camp out here is always stake) and since I havne't been yet I think this is how it goes. It's called a singing tree and one night after it gets dark, each unit group (so the 1st years, the 2nd years etc...) hike with their flashlights and pick a tree to stand around. All the girls turn off their lights and then the oldest girls start and turn on their lights and shine them up towards the sky. Then they sing the hymn they have previously picked while standing around the tree. Each year gets to pick a different song and have their turn to sing with their lights on. Sounds like a fun idea...hopefully I got that right.

Oh and here's an idea, don't give anyone food poisoning while you're at camp. (Ask Krissy about that one) lol

Keri said...

You would think since I'm in YW that I would know what was going on with our camp, but since I'm not going this year I'm kind of out of the loop. I'm sure those girls are going to love you though. So fun!

Andrea Tao said...

Well, since I was in Young womens only a few short years ago I do remember some things we did. :) But most of it were things we got in trouble for. We brought fire works and set them off in the middle of the night, stole leaders cars and drove to the scout camp down the road.....Probably not helpful for you. But I rememeber doing some tinfoil dinners that were pretty fun, henna tattoos, hair braids, (like the dred lok kind), If I think of more I'll let you know. Good luck!

Laurel said...

I'm so excited for you! You're going to do a great job. I really don't have any ideas, but will let you know if I think of anything :-). How was your anniversary trip?