Thursday, March 18, 2010

Science Fair Year #1

And so it begins. This was our first year doing a science fair project. And yes, I said "our" first year because we all know that that's exactly what it is. No third grader can do an adequate project completely on their own. However, this was Paige's idea and she did come up with the majority of the design. She ran all of the trial runs, but there was major construction work by her dad and I did most of the presentation.

She decided to build a hamster maze and put Bubba and Gus Gus to the test. Her question was: "If we put them in the maze over and over again, will they get better at the maze?"

Hypothesis: Yes, they will get better at it the more they run through it.


Paige with Gus Gus and Bubba
Result: They did get to know it better the more they ran through it. However, they aren't always interested in getting to the finish line! Gus Gus especially picked his favorite spot and was able to quickly find it each time!

And the verdict is in: FIRST PLACE! She was beyond excited about it! Trophy AND a medal AND momentary fame (in her eyes anyway...)? What more could a cute little girl want? Now I'm just worried about keeping up with the precedence we've set! Yikes! Wish us luck next year!

9 comments:

Keri said...

That is awesome! Way to go. I know my turn is coming soon. :)

Denise said...

Congrats on you science project Emily...I mean Paige! No really great job Paige. I wish I had hamsters to do a cool project like that. My kids would go crazy with it. Well done on creating a great project.

Lindalu said...

Sweet, way to go Paige!

Danielle said...

Yahoo! Way to go Paige!!! You really have a nice mom for letting you have hamsters in your house!!!

Gigi's Thimble said...

How fun! That was a good idea and the poster is so cute (I liked the A-MAZE-ING part on the title). I love all of the cute pictures of Paige. Congrats!

Celeste said...

Wow- I'm impressed with her clever idea, and all your work! Nice job team!

OUR CHAOTIC CLAN said...

Way to go Paige!!! You are and A*MAZE*ING young lady and I love you!

Tiffany said...

Yeah Paige!!(and Emily and Austin). The girls wanted to do one this year, I declined because I just don't have the time!! But they did do reflections. Maybe science fair next year.

Megan said...

Congrats Paige (and family:))!!! That is so neat and exciting! I am so impressed and proud of you!