Thursday, May 1, 2008

Day One

If any of you have ever traveled with children, you know how much work it is to actually get out of the house. After a day of doing nothing, and I mean nothing, but laundry (I think about 10 loads by the time I was done) and then packing everything, I think we're all ready to go first thing in the morning. Well, then you have to get everyone ready for the day, which always takes longer than it should and then you have to get all the paraphernalia, people, stuff, etc. in the car. I have some hereditary disease where I have to clean my house before we leave on a trip. I think it's because my mom always did and I hate coming home from vacations so much as it is, that the thought of coming home to a messy house is almost unbearable. So, I do it to make me happier to come home. Also, I know that this is a bit morbid, but what if something happened to us while we were gone and someone had to go into our house? Needless to say, by the time I am ready to leave, my family's been in the car waiting for me for way too long. I go out into the garage to get something as I am preparing to leave and all of the kids are ready to go. At this point, they are waiting patiently, but by the time my rear is actually in the car and we are pulling out of the driveway, my entire family (led by Austin) is singing at the top of their lungs, "Here we sit like birds in the wilderness, birds in the wilderness, birds in the wilderness. Here we sit like birds in the wilderness, waiting for Mom to come." Off we go...finally.

So the kids are all excited to finally be on the road. We get no more than 2 miles when I get this nagging feeling that we need to get new tires before we drive out into the middle of nowhere. One of our back tires has had a slow leak for awhile and I just felt like we needed to get it taken care of. I almost didn't dare say anything because the kids (not to mention Austin) would be so annoyed, but I couldn't ignore it. So, our first stop was to get tires. Woo hoo! I was definitely wrong about the kids' attitudes. They thought it was the coolest thing ever that they got to stay in the car while it was being jacked up. Who knew?
Just about every time (it seems, anyway) we head down south, Austin likes to take a stop in Parawon where his dad grew up and his paternal grandparents are buried. So, we take a pit stop in Parawon and we head over to the cemetery. I have to tell you that Austin has a little obsession with cemeteries. Well, not really cemeteries, but as part of his geneological duties he feels like he needs to take pictures of headstones. It's not a bad idea, seeing as how you can get most of the accurate info that you need from one picture. So, we pay a visit to the graves of his grandparents (although it might sound like I am, I am not complaining about this...I think it's very sweet), but Austin then decides that we need to search out any and all other Orton's in the entire cemetery, something it feels like he's done a million times already. However, this time he did remember to take a picture of a headstone that he didn't have. It's one of his main ancestors (Orson Owen Orton, or as we so lovingly nicknamed him, "O to the third" or "O cubed"), so I guess it turned out to be worth it! Austin has passed his love of headstones on to Paige, who insisted on going around and picking up any loose fake flowers and decorating this particular headstone. It's all a little strange to me, but at least it's a productive and free hobby, right?:)

8 comments:

Sarah Anne said...

That is so absolutely cool that you are documenting this day by day. In a few years you wouldn't have remembered half of these details. This sounds like a great start. Aren't families the best?!
I miss yours.
Also, I'm starting to understand Paige's "100 years from now" assignment with more clarity.
Good for you for taking pictures of everything and for listening to the prompting of getting new tires. I remember our trip to Vegas vividly. Where was your insight then? kidding.
love you.

Staci said...

So where are you guys headed on your trip? I can't remember if you told me where you were going. Sounds like you're off to a "lively" start. Haha

Heidi and Rich said...

I love all the details. Keep the stories coming. I love Austin - he is always doing something goofy - I mean interesting!!!

Danielle said...

Who knew a picture of a little girl next to a tombstone could be so cute and creepy all at the same time?

Tiffany said...

Did I even know you went to Cedar City?? What a sister I am! That would be fun to do. Maybe we can do it this summer sometime. I like the idea of the vacation at home.

Jenny G said...

I can totally picture your family singing the "birds in the wilderness" song. That is very funny. Family vacations are so fun...more so when we weren't the mom's doing all the work:)

Staci said...

ok, so I think you were going back to documenting the beginning of your cedar city trip, right? Or is this a new trip you're talking about?

emily said...

Yes, I am just going back to our trip to Cedar City. It's really no big deal, but we had a good time!:)