Wednesday, September 16, 2009

More than I bargained for!

So, after my gazillionth time of leaving the local craft store, Robert's, in utter frustration and sending texts to my crafty friend, Robyn, about how much I loathe this store now, I finally decided to send them an email while I was still all fired up. Here's a copy:

"I'm at the breaking point. Over the past several months I have been so incredibly frustrated with your store in American Fork. I have started counting how many times I have left your store frustrated and we are up to 7 times....IN A ROW! I have gone to your store (and only continue to go due to lack of better options nearby) for very basic things, only to leave empty handed. Basic things such as: black cardstock, white cardstock, black ink, brown ink, adhesives that come in disposable cartridges (on two separate occasions), Cricut cutting mats...the list goes on and on. What is going on? What has happened to your store...it didn't used to be this way. I have walked down your aisles of scrapbook paper to notice that there are at least 10 items out of stock...in each aisle!!

I was so excited to learn that Robert's headquarters were moving into the American Fork store because I thought that that would help the store improve. It has done just the opposite...this store is falling apart. I vented to one of your workers tonight about never having what I need and she gave me this explanation, "Well, we're switching vendors and we can only get what they send us when they send it to us." I was talking to her specifically about the Cricut cutting mat. Hmmm...who might be the vendor for the Cricut? Oh, Provo Craft?! What do you even mean that you're "switching vendors"? Isn't Robert's Crafts owned in part by Provo Craft?! I've had it! And so has everyone I know. Anytime your name comes up, people sigh and express nothing but frustration. You better only hope that no competition moves in anytime soon because your American Fork store would go out of business with the way it's currently being run. I have shopped at Robert's for years. Years. And never have I been so disappointed. So, I am begging you to fix this ongoing problem. It really can't be that hard to keep a steady supply of white cardstock. Seriously. If you're going to put all of your adhesives on sale, then make sure you order more BEFORE you put them on sale. That was the explanation I got for you not having any adhesives...and it was over a week after your sale. As you can tell, this situation leaves me just a tad bit frustrated! I've never been a huge fan of Michael's, but in comparison, it's becoming more and more appealing.

If you care at all about customer retention PLEASE try to do something about the continual lack of stock of basic items, at the least. And if the real reason you are having problems is due to the switch in vendors, isn't it possible to at least purchase from the current vendor until the switch is made? If not, then by the time your switch is made and product is in stock it will be too late for a lot of your current customers as they would have already made the switch to another store due to their frustration.

The reason I have taken the time to write this letter is because I have generally enjoyed shopping at Robert's. I am usually doing a papercraft of one sort or another, so I have spent a lot of time (and money) in your store. In the past, Robert's has treated me well. I want to want to shop there. But lately, that is becoming increasingly more difficult."

Well, I about had a heart attack and hyperventilated when I got this response the next day:

"Emily,

Thank you for taking the time to express your disappointment with your recent shopping experiences at Roberts. We agree that those experiences are very frustrating. We don’t want you or any customer walking away from Roberts disappointed and frustrated.

We strive to give the best service and provide products our customers need and want. We are always looking to improve and ask for your help. On behalf Roberts President I would like to invite you to spend some time with our leadership team (President, Directors of Buying, Operations, and Marketing) to provide them with your recent shopping experience feedback. We would also ask for your suggestions to learn how we can better serve you and the rest of our valued customers. For your time, we would give you a $100 Roberts Gift Card.

Our leadership team will be available in the American Fork store this Friday to meet at your convenience. Please contact me on my cell phone at to arrange a time that works best for you. If you have conflicts on Friday, we can discuss another time that works best for you.

"


Eek!! I have to meet with who!? Are you kidding me? That scares the bejeepers out of me. Since Robyn has shared in my frustration and even edited and added to my email, I'm making her go with me. So, I guess, if any of you locals have any frustrations that you'd like me to address, let me know! Now's your chance!

P.S. Amber, I will definitely be informing them of your lame prize! Backstory: My friend, Amber, entered one of their scrapbooking contests. She put a lot of time and I'm sure money into her layout and she won! What did she win? A hodge podge of outdated, random scrapbook items and stuff they were already getting rid of (like the individual stickers that kids tear off of the rolls and don't buy!). We laughed for a long time about that and it's an ongoing joke between us now!

13 comments:

Jenny G said...

It's almost like you're a celebrity! Have fun with your $100!

Sarah said...

I think you should ask for a position. Perhaps in purchasing?
Way to go in making your voice heard. I hope it changes things.

Or I could just move back and we could open our own store...

ASRussell said...

way to go emily...!!!!!!!!!!

Celeste said...

Nice job telling them what is up. Enjoy your shopping spree of $100, jsut don't buy any black or white cardstock, adhesives etc...since they will probably still be out of stock. =)

Gigi's Thimble said...

Before you even got to the part about the scrapbooking contest, I was like - I'm in! I would totally share that story. Just let me know time and place!

Gigi's Thimble said...

Sorry about your frustrations. If I know you, (and I do :) I know that you give Roberts a lot of business, so they are messin with the wrong lady! Good job for sending them an email.

Danielle said...

BAHAAA!! I would so be there with you if I lived there! You know how much I love sending companies emails, but this one takes the cake..although your crappy nacho story still has this one topped in my opinon...

Heidi and Rich said...

I love it. You are awesome. I too would have peed my pants if I'd gotten such a quick and unexpected response. I am dying to hear what happens when you meet with them. - Heidi

Misty said...

lol! Emily I couldn't help but comment. This is a totally different side of you I've never seen. Way to speak up! Ambers lame prize still makes me laugh. BTW, how are you? It's been too long. You need to come see us at bunko sometime! Hope all is well:).

Keri said...

I am laughing so hard...way to go on the awesome letter. Sometimes it gets to a point when only a letter will suffice. Good luck meeting with the exec's! (I'm still laughing about Amber's prize)

Staci said...

Way to go Em! That's awesome. Well, a bit scary to be meeting with the execs, but you just tell them like it is and they'll love the input you give I'm sure. I agree with Danielle that the nacho story was funnier, but this reward is perfect for you.

Denise said...

Emily, that is AWESOME! You totally ROCK! Go in there and tell 'em what's what! Here's a note of caution. Use all your might and refrain from using the phrases...
"I'm just sayin'..." and
"Are you freakin' kidding me?!"
However, you may want to pull all the stops at one point (after you get your $100) and lay it all out there by being Captain Obvious...
"Fire the idiot wrapped in a moron!"

Love ya Em. Have fun and have no fear, you will be great.

The Scrapbook Speedway said...

well, I am THRILLED to see that your concerns about their store has hit a nerve. they actually want to try to rectify the situation. good for you. and talking iwth the big wigs, shouls be easy. they're normal people who willa ctually take everything you say to heart. i'm so happY!