Thursday, June 12, 2008

Who are you and what have you done with my children?

Now that summer is in full swing (well, except for the weather....seriously, what's going on?) I decided that it was time to get my kids doing chores. I know that most of you have probably had your kids doing chores for eons now, but with me teaching piano last year, I just didn't feel like it was fair to them (or the babysitters) since I wasn't around to oversee it. So, I've been chomping at the bit to get chores going now that they have my full attention! Sunday night I sit the kids down and start going over their new chores. There are some they have to do everyday and 6 that they have to do once a week (one on Monday, one on Tuesday, etc.). So, I fully expected to get the loud sighs and eyerolling as I'm dishing out their responsibilities. No siree! They are jumping up and down with each new chore that they "get" to do (their words) and with the ones that they are really excited about, I got a kiss on the cheek! Holy moly! Are they serious? Who knew?! I guess I should have started this a long time ago! So, Monday morning I wake up and the girls are already dressed and their room is clean and beds are made. I'm not awake for 1 minute before they are requesting the chore chart to be printed! I print it off and post it on the door and they are just giddy! They got it all done (and it's quite a bit) in record time and they've been just as excited every morning since. Paige even does a load of laundry and is getting pretty good at it. Okay, folks, I'm not delusional enough to think that this enthusiasm is going to last, but I am sure going to enjoy it while it does!! Now, if I could just get them this excited about practicing piano, we'd be set!

8 comments:

Sarah Anne said...

That is incredible. How lucky are you? Great job for teaching them the ethics of hard work. You are such a good mom.
What does your chore chart look like? Would you mind emailing it to me?
Enjoy your hardworkers while you can!

Staci said...

Who knew that kids would be so excited to get a list of chores?! I can just see Paige and Kamae(especially) getting so into doing this. They probably are loving the opportunity to be doing grown up stuff and being just like their mom. I'm sure in a few years it will be way different, but for now take advantage while you can! I wish my kids were as enthusiastic about it! I'd also like a copy of your chore charts. I'm having a hard time figuring out how to organize my chore assignments.

Danielle said...

Sign me up for a chore chart! Isn't it amazing, I can't believe my kids love cleaning toilets!

Laurel said...

Your kids are the cutest! But, honestly, how could they be any different with you as their mom? Keep up the good work - I'm taking notes for when I have kids that old.

Heidi and Rich said...

I love it. Having the oldest as girls is a huge plus - at least it was in our family - when it came to chores. I am glad that they love it...have fun with that!! Kids are too cute - they love to feel accomplished and successful. I hope that I can handle the 3 as well as you handle your 4.

Celeste said...

Emily, I seriously love your kids. They are so cute and I miss seeing you guys every week at church. Hope things are going well for you this summer.

Trixy said...

Do you want to adopt Kiya too and shape her up a bit come onya know ya want to

Tiffany said...

I have tried multiple times to get chores into effect. It lasts maybe a week or two. I need a chore chart that really works. I would like to see what chores you have them doing and how you have it lined out and how you mark it off(stickers or checkmarks or what) I have tried a few different chore charts that just dont seem to work.