Sunday, October 12, 2008

Little Old Married Couple

Spencer and Carmyn. These two kids are so incredibly cute together! They play together a lot and have developed this old married couple relationship. It has become so natural for them that it just cracks me up, but also scares me a little bit!
The other day, they were playing Hulaballoo, which is a game where you put different shaped and colored mats on the floor and the DVD tells you which one to step on. The first thing the guy says is to make sure you take your shoes off. Spencer looks down and says, "I have my shoes off already!" Then, without skipping a beat, he heads over to Carmyn who has now taken a seat on the floor, and he starts taking her boots off for her. She saw him turn to her and raised her leg up to him as if they both instantly knew what he was going to do!
On Thursday we went on a pre-school fieldtrip to the pumpkin patch. (I, being the lame mom that I am these days, didn't bring my camera.) Anyway, they had some slides there and after going down the first one, Carmyn did not want to go down the second one. Meanwhile, Spencer has been down several times and then realized that Carmyn isn't joining him. I asked her a couple of times if she wanted to go down the slide and she most definitely did not. Spencer came running over to her, out of breath, and said, "Come on, Carmyn." "No." He put his hands on his hips and told her, "It's really not scary. I already went and it's not scary at all. Come with me, I'll stay with you." And off they went. He grabbed her by the hand, led her up the stairs and then towards the top, let her go in front of him, he put his hand on her back and then ushered her to the top of the slide. My goodness! There's lots of women out there who'd appreciate that sort of treatment and a three year old girl is getting it!
I have tried really hard over the past couple of years to teach him to be a gentlemen, but I was more intending for him to practice on me! He holds doors open for her, carries her backpack into school for her, puts her shoes on, they are either walking hand-in-hand or he puts his hand on her back and leads her along, he always makes sure she is taken care of and he is very protective. They even bicker at each other at times, but rarely do they fight or make each other cry.
It's just so interesting because it comes so natural for him to treat her like a queen. I guess I shouldn't be too surprised...he has a very good example of that at home. His father is also known for treating his girl like a queen. :) I'm so grateful for the good example he shows to our children. I just had no idea his influence would have such an early effect!



I guess all of this doting can really wear a gent out!Opinion poll: I have had an ongoing internal debate about whether or not I should let this sort of behavior occur. Would you even go so far as to consider this a "relationship"? Am I crazy? I just don't want him to get in the habit of being with "a" girl and having a sort of relationship. I know that sounds silly. They are three and four and I know it's all so innocent, but I don't want it to become so natural to him that when he's older it's not so innocent. Although, they, nor I, have ever used the term "boyfriend" or "girlfriend", they can act like it, but I am also very against little kids having "boy/girlfriends", no matter how innocent it may be. I just think it teaches them too young to get into relationships and when they get older, it escalates from there. However, I do like that he is learning how to be a gentlemen, and the two of them are best of friends, they get along great and they are just so dang cute together, but, oh I don't know...I'm rambling...what would you do if you were his mom (or dad)?

14 comments:

Tiffany said...

That is seriously the cutest thing ever! I can't believe he acts like that! What a gent! I really don't know what to say with the relationship thing. I really think that he and Camryn think they are just being friends. I don't know if they see what we see. Maybe if you asked what Camryn was to him. See what his response is, then it might lead you what way to go. But if he just says that she is his friend, then let it be, I guess. Just as long as you don't see them experimenting with playing mom and dad or kissing or anything like that. You know what I'm saying??

Celeste said...

I totally agree with your friend's comment above me. Ask him about her and see what he thinks. They are both such cute kids it's hard not to encourage it! Does he get along with boys his age too? And don't think you're being crazy by thinking about it...I would totally wonder about the same thing. Let's just be glad he is a)socially developing and b)a gentleman!

Brent and Britta said...

I think it's ADORABLE! In a year or two he will think girls are gross and will want to do boy things and get dirty. I think he probably doesn't care that she is a girl, she could be green and he would still like her, because she is nice and she is his friend... I wouldn't worry about it.

Staci said...

C'mon Emily, what did you expect? Look who his dad is! I don't know how Austin was when he was 3, but I know he liked hanging with the girls. I really think at this age they are just best friends and they don't care that they are a boy and a girl. I know a lot of kids that are best friends with the opposite sex when they're preschool age, then when they get older and in kindergarten or 1st grade it's not as "cool" to have friends that are the opposite sex. I say it's not harmful and they're so dang cute!

Becca said...

What a little sweetheart! I think these are all great habits to get into. I agree with you about not encouraging "boyfriend/girlfriend" silliness while they're so young. I think I'd just encourage him to continue to treat all girls that way, including you and his sisters, or the next girl he meets at the playground. It's great that they're such good buds, and hopefully their friendship will continue, even through the cooties stage. But you can't go wrong if he learns to treat all girls/women with courtesy and respect.

Heidi and Rich said...

Too cute. I don't have any great advice. My boys are already saying how they don't like girls. I have to continually talk to them about how that is rude and unkind. So enjoy his sweet little heart and just make sure they don't take it anywhere further - that is until they are at BYU and find each other again!!!

Keri said...

That is so cute! Personally, I wouldn't put too much worry into it...like Spencer said when he started Kindergarten, "I used to kiss girls until I found out it was gross." He'll be over it soon enough. :)

Jenny G said...

What a cute couple :) Just be glad he isn't kissing her...Whenever Jack is saying by to a friend that is a girl he gives them a hug and a kiss right on the lips! I think they're cute friends and he'll soon think it's "gross."

ASRussell said...

okay...so thay are so stinkin cute!!!

Sarah Anne said...

I just want you to know that I love you and miss you.

Regarding Spencer and little Miss, just enforce the FRIEND thing. I tell my kids they aren't allowed to kiss until they get married and they aren't allowed to get married until they're 25. It's worked so far. When they get older and start to question me, then we can talk more in depth.

Aubri said...

I'm with Britta...girls will be gross soon enough. As long as they're not swapping spit...let him hang out. Girl friends are not usally as crazy as boy friends are at this age, right? So, bring on the sweet little girls! Spencer is so big and so cute. I just want to squish him right now!

The Higginbothams said...

Spencer is such a cute kid. That's cool they were so compliant holding hands while you took pictures.

Steve and Elva said...

Let 'em be boyfriend/girlfriend. Loved the post.

Your Chinese Parents

elvaorton@gmail.com said...

Dear Emily,
Not to worry. His Uncle Matt always had a girl friend and he turned out great. Spencer just likes having a best friend. So just call them best friends. I love reading about the kids. I used their pictures in my lesson this week on Halloween. I look forward to seeing new Halloween pictures. My students loved learning about Halloween. . We are well, bust and happy. Love Mom