Monday, September 17, 2007

As of today, I've had it...

I'm done. I've had it. I quit. I've decided that toys ought to be banished from this earth! I'm not kidding. I think that everyday for the past week, I have walked, uh, I mean waded into Spencer's room and at times have had to put my shoulder up to the door and use my body weight to open it because there are so many bleepedy bleepin' toys all over the floor, excuse my bleeps. Now, in his defense, his closet did become the "temporary" storage for all of the toys and it probably is too hard for any two year old boy to resist. Although each toy has a designated box with a lid and a picture of what belongs in it, I have come to the conclusion that he prefers them ALL dumped out on his floor. It's usually a gradual process. He'll play with one, grab another and later add to it some more. However, it seems like whenever he is in the company of friends, it's just more fun to dump them ALL out at once. It really has become a death trap! I'll walk in the room with Jack in my arms to change him or to lay him down for a nap and it's like the floor is boobie trapped! I feel kind of like I'm on the Japanese game show "MXC" (come on, you know you've seen it). Anyway, in the past week, I think we've cleaned them up 4 or 5 times (Spencer's such a great helper when it comes to cleaning up...wink, wink) and by today, I had had it! I honestly couldn't walk through the doorway without kicking toys out of my way. I'm ashamed to say that I did kick extra hard in hopes of breaking some, but to my dismay, they all survived. I guess they are made better than I give most of them credit for. So, I spent several hours tonight rounding up all of the toys in our house. I moved the couches (scary) and cleared out under beds (scarier) and I even told "Mr. Gobble" that it was time to regurgitate the toys that he had gobbled up over the past couple of weeks (garbage bags with faces on them stored down in the dungeon, AKA basement). Once they were all in Spencer's room to divide up into their bins, I was going to take a picture to show you guys just how out of control it is. But, the camera was in my car with the rest of my family. My sweet husband can tell when I'm about to explode and he voluntarily took the kids to the Dinosaur Museum. So, I didn't have my camera, but I really wish you could have seen it. Anyway, all of the toys are now in their corresponding bins (or in garbage sacks to take to D.I.) and they will be stored down in the dungeon and will only be played with upon request. I did decide to leave his beloved car bin in his room, but other than that, goodbye toys. I wouldn't even be surprised if the kids never even asked for them! Is that good or bad? They've got so many that they don't even know what they have. Down in the basement they go. So, all in favor of doing away with toys, say "aye"!

P.S. Any tips or suggestions are most definitely welcome!

5 comments:

Heidi and Rich said...

Sounds good to me!! How can I order a basement for my house? Have I even seen your basement? I don't think so!! That just means I haven't visited enough!! About the toy situation - I can only imagine. We have two boys and our house is covered with toys. You have four kids - boy toys and girl toys- yeah I am sure you have a lot of toys!!! Amen to putting them away until they ask.

Danielle said...

That's great...what's MXC I'm totally interested! Did you catch Prison Break last night? Love it!

emily said...

Of course I watched Prison Break! It kind of made me sick, though. I hate watching people fist fight. MXC is just a japanese game show that some people on Spike have dubbed in English and they totally make fun of them. The stuff they do is obstacle course-ish, but it's all really dumb. It can be humorous!

Tiffany said...

I want to join the no toys club! it is really hard with Nate and Peyton trying to keep them under raps. I think the girls could keep them clean, but when Nate hits the playroom, he just dumps all the drawers out and dumps all the puzzles upside-down. It is so frustrating! I am about to the point of DI-ing a lot too. So are you telling me for spencers bday you don't want a toy? Give me suggestions or you will have another toy to add to the basement!!=)

emily said...

Oh, I guess this would be an indication that we don't need more toys for Spencer's birthday. Uh, I guess, books, clothes, baseball stuff, movies, etc. would be a little less messy. The only toy that I would want him to have would be additions to his GeoTracks set. I actually don't even mind playing with that one, so I don't mind cleaning it up either. They are big pieces, so it's never a big deal.