Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Pranks...

So, my sister, Kristen and her friend Tommy from work went to their boss, John's house for "game night." As they are walking up they can't help but notice how pristine his front lawn looks with all of the snow and they decide to write an anonymous message in his lawn. You see, John is Scottish and apparently he has a tendency to sound a bit like Shrek, so they decided to stomp that into his lawn. They go into game night, have a good time and no one says a word about it. Game night is also the following night...Kristen won't be going, but Tommy will. Kristen asks Tommy to bring up the subject to see if they knew it was them who did it and when Kristen asks Tommy about it at work on Monday, Tommy says that he forgot to bring it up. No worries, though, because it's not a big deal, right? Hmmm...

Well, on Monday Kristen and this lady are working on a project together and John comes over and proceeds to tell the following story to the lady Kristen is working with:
"You guys will never guess what happened! Not yesterday, but the Sunday before, I was teaching the Teachers (the 14-15 year old boys) in church, and they were just being so disrespectful. I couldn't get them to stop talking and I finally had to raise my voice a bit to get their attention. Well, when I raise my voice, my Scottish accent becomes stronger and then they all started chanting, "Shrek! Shrek!" I went straight to the bishop and told him that something needs to be done about their lack of respect and that I am no longer going to put up with this."

Meanwhile Kristen is intently listening to this story and is busting up laughing. They keep looking at her like "this story isn't that funny" but she can't contain herself.

And the story doesn't end there. He continues:
"And then, this weekend we notice that night that those boys had come over and stomped Shrek into my front lawn. I reported this new incident to the bishop, who then asked the them to confess. No one would fess up, so he made them all come over to my house and mess up the message and then he told them that the next time it snows, they all need to come over and shovel for me."

At this point, Kristen still thinks this is hilarious, but also very sad. She feels horrible that innocent boys have taken the rap and thinks, "Oh no! We're going to start a ward feud!" She doesn't have the guts to tell him that it was actually them and decides to leave it up to Tommy to come clean. She's now laughing pretty hard (enough that she's crying), but is more a nervous laughter than anything. They keep asking her why she thinks it's so funny and she can't answer them!

So when John is done telling his story, Kristen says, "Tommy has got to hear this! It's so funny!" So they go over to Tommy's cube and John retells the story to him. Tommy listens to the story, completely stonefaced. Kristen takes a steps back behind John (so she thinks John can't see her, but Tommy can, but John really could see her) while he's telling the story and puts her arms out like, "Seriously? You aren't going to say anything?" John finishes his story and Tommy says nothing! John and Kristen leave and go back to their desks. Kristen IM's Tommy and asks him why he woosed out. He says, "It would've been weird since you already heard the story and didn't say anything. He told you first, you should've said something." So, they go back and forth about what to do and how to approach John. They are both a little nervous and hope that he thinks it's humorous and that it doesn't upset him.

Kristen is telling me this story and I'm nervous for her. Seriously, if she's anything like me, avoid awkwardness and confrontation at all costs. But, she has to do something because these poor boys are being accused of something they didn't do!

So, Kristen and Tommy decide to nip this in the bud (which is more like a full blossom at this point) and walk over to John's desk and set the record straight. As they walk up, John chuckles and Kristen asks him what's funny. He says, "Oh, just something my sister-in-law said." Just then Tommy completely busts up laughing and says "I can't do it any more!" Both Tommy and John are laughing hysterically and it's then that Kristen realizes that the joke's on her! They had totally fabricated this whole story to get Kristen!

I was laughing so hard when she told me this part of the story that I was crying and my throat and stomach hurt! I guess it was so funny to me for a couple of reasons: it was 1:00 in the morning, the way Kristen told the story totally got me too and I thought it was great that Tommy and John knew just how to "get" her. If any of you know her, awkward situations are Kristen's nemesis and they put her right in the middle of one! So, this post is a shout out to Tommy and John...props and thanks for the good laugh!!!

5 comments:

Tommy said...

It was absolutely hilarious! Kristen felt so sick to her stomach before she found out it was a joke! We've been laughing about it all week! We love you, Kristen!

Anonymous said...

Absolutely Brilliant. My wife and I had already gotten Tommy on Saturday night, with the same story. His reaction was good, Kristen's was just priceless though! I could totally see Kristen's reaction throughout the whole thing and I had the hardest time keeping a straight face. If we could have kept it going just that little bit longer, I think Kristen would have spontaneously combusted. her face was already beaming bright red. You're the best Kristen!

Kristen said...

It is true... I felt horrible, but I couldn't help but laugh when John was telling me his coincidental story. I was laughing, but scared out of my pants at the same time. They got me good! This is why I love my job.

Lindalu said...

If I were the bread winner, I would want to work here!

heather said...

Wow! My 1.5 year old niece recognizes that's our house. Actually, I think she can read now and obviously associates John with Shrek. Great story!