Wednesday, October 24, 2007

I'm A Big Boy Now!




Spencer gave me a birthday present about a week and a half after his birthday. He potty trained himself!! It was an absolute miracle...I was honestly to the point where I thought, "I'll just potty train Spencer and Jack together." We had never really even given it a serious attempt because our first goal was never reached: just trying to get him to even tell us when he would have a messy diaper. That was step #1 and he couldn't and wouldn't even do that! Then, one day, it just clicked for him and he's been wearing underwear ever since (even at nights and during naps)! That evening Spencer and I went out on a date. We got all ready and even put on cologne and perfume (he still reminds me that every time he sees it...it's really cute.) We went to the dinosaur museum and then ate at the little cafe that they have there. We were pretty much the only people there and it was so nice to have free reign of the place! It was really good for us because as most of you know, Spencer and I have our ups and downs. He just doesn't stop, which is pretty typical for a boy, but it gets pretty exhausting and I can lose my patience with it. So, to have an evening with just the two of us with no time constraints was amazing. I felt like we really became friends that night. When we were walking into the museum I pretended like I was scared of the big dinosaur on the outside wall. I was holding him and he patted my back and stroked my hair and told me that he would protect me. It was so cute! Then while we were eating he kept offering me his dinner and wanting me to try a bite because it was "so so yummy." I asked him if he wanted a mandarine orange out of my salad and he said, "Yeah, sure!" He makes me laugh. We had a great time and ended the evening by going to Target and having him pick out his new big boy underwear (cars and spiderman) and I couldn't resist picking up a package of the little boxer briefs...how cute are those?

7 comments:

Danielle said...

Sounds fun! Brad and I just took Dallin on a little date night too...we went to Cody's court of honor and then out to dinner. It's so nice to have one on one time with each kid. And I do agree I love the boxer briefs although Dallin has now informed me he just likes the straight boxers...he's growing up..=(

Danielle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jenny G said...

Wow, you are the second mom in the past hour to tell me their boy decided in a day to potty train himself. I'm beginning to feel left out. Your date night sounds so fun. I loved daddy daughter nights growing up. One-on-one time was the best.

Kim Simpson said...

Could you ask for a better birthday present!

Staci said...

Wow, I'm impressed! I wish Kera would potty train herself in one day and be done with it. Maybe she's waiting until her 3rd birthday too to surprise me. She's great with telling me she has to go #2, but she's constantly wetting her pants. AAAH! Congratulations to Spencer though, that's great. Are you counting down the hours until Austin gets home??

Heidi and Rich said...

That is absolutely amazing. I would give me right arm for that gift!! I too haven't moved past the first step and I ahve even toyed with the idea of training both boys at the same time. The difference between you andI is that I will probably end up actually training them together. I am so happy for your Spencer...send some luck to my Spencer!!

Tiffany said...

ok, Em. Reading that made me cry. I don't know why...maybe it was the music you had playing. =) No, seriously, I was just putting myself in your shoes when Nate is that age and I may actually be able to communicate with him and we can be friends instead of enemies. I think that is why I cried. I want that day that you had! And where you said you became friends that night and the part where he said he would protect you. So cute! thanks for sharing your fun night!